Making an Endowment investment
An endowment fund is a permanent, self-sustaining source of funding. Endowment assets are invested. Each year, a portion of the value of the fund is paid out to support the fund’s purpose, and any earnings in excess of this distribution are used to build the fund’s market value. In this way, an endowment fund can grow and provide support for its designated purpose in perpetuity. When you establish or contribute to an existing endowment fund, you create a permanent legacy of support for the students in our community.
• An endowment creates Foundation stability and sustainability by demonstrating that longevity exists in the organization.
• An Endowment insures a long-term funding mechanism for programs and projects.
• An Endowment builds organizational capacity, allowing us to look more attractive to external funding sources.
• An Endowment provides a long-term giving solution to those who want to make a significant gift to support public education.
In 2012, Members of the Northshore Schools Foundation board initiated an Operating Endowment fund with the intention of building a nest egg investment that would have the capacity to fund basic operations of the Foundation with the interest generated from the investment. We currently estimate that the fund will need to be $1.5M to fully fund our operating expenses from the interest of this account. We hope to meet that goal by the time this year’s Kindergarteners graduate high school.
How it works:
Gifts of $2000 and above are accepted for investment in our Operating Endowment.
1. Once you determine how you want to make your investment, that gift is received with the designated intention of supporting the Operating Endowment.
2. Your gift is pooled with other gifts and invested with our investment company.
3. Annually you will receive an update about the performance of the funds and the progress we have made towards our goals.
Why it’s important:
Designated gifts to our Operating Endowment fund help the Northshore Schools Foundation become a more sustainable and fiscally responsible organization.
When operating funds are secured, the Foundation can take advantage of longer-term operating agreements, secure high quality staff, and ultimately save money, making more funds available for mission delivery.
Having an endowment that funds operations allows our general donations to be used directly for students and teachers, increasing our mission delivery percentage.