Gifts of closely held corporate stock or non-publicly traded securities may be attractive charitable gift vehicles for you under the right circumstances. As a charitable organization, the Northshore Schools Foundation normally does not invest in closely held corporations; however we may accept the gift as long as our Finance committee can determine an appropriate method of sale.
How It Works
- You make a gift of your closely held stock to Northshore Schools Foundation and get a qualified appraisal to determine its value.
- You receive a charitable income tax deduction for the full fair-market value of the stock.
- Northshore Schools Foundation may keep the stock or offer to sell it back to your company.
- You receive an income tax deduction for the fair-market value of stock.
- You pay no capital gain tax on any appreciation.
- Your company may repurchase the stock, thereby keeping your ownership interest intact.
- Northshore Schools Foundation receives a significant gift.
- Contact us to help us determine the estimated fair market value of the closely held stock or securities, and to determine if there are any restrictions on the transfer.